Spring & Summer Fire Safety TipsApril 17 2015
As the warm weather approaches, remember to check your house for the following:
- Test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, change batteries immediately if needed.
- Check your fire extinguishers.
- Check for overloaded or damaged extension cords, replace where needed.
- Ensure you have an emergency preparedness kit in case of incidents such as power outages and flooding.
- Practice your families fire escape plan so everyone knows what to do in case of an emergency
- Windows should be checked to ensure they open and close properly, in case they are needed as an exit
- Properly store household chemicals and never mix cleaning agents
- Recycle: Get rid of old newspapers, magazines and junk mail. These items tend to pile up and can greatly contribute to the severity and spread of fire.
- Check and clean filters above stove.
- Pull refrigerator out and vacuum or dust the coils.
- Always keep stairs and landings clear for safe evacuation in event of an emergency